Prescott Chamber of Commerce
237 Broad Street North
Prescott, WI 54021
Telephone: (715) 262-3284
Prescott is the northern gateway to the Wisconsin Great River Road National Scenic Byway. Though just 30 minutes from the Twin Cities, Prescott maintains its unique character as a river town. The Welcome and Heritage Center is located at 233 Broad Street North in the H.S. Miller Bank building, built in 1885 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is a great place to find information on area activities and attractions.
The community of Prescott dates back to 1839 and was named for Philander Prescott, a fur-trader and interpreter of Native American languages who was sent to the area by the military at Fort Snelling in St. Paul.
The St. Croix River joins with the Mississippi River in Prescott. On a sunny day, if you look at where the waters of these mighty rivers meet, it’s easy to distinguish the muddy waters of the Mississippi River from the clear, blue waters of the St. Croix. Prescott is located near the southern end of the 72-mile Mississippi River National River & Recreation Area, designated by the National Park Service.
The meeting of these two rivers helped to make Prescott a major center for commerce throughout its history. In the 1800s, boats laden with supplies and people coming to and from St. Paul would have to pass by Prescott. Prescott was particularly important during the logging era of the late 1800s when, every spring, millions of logs were floated down the St. Croix River.
The perfect place to view the confluence of the Mississippi and the St. Croix rivers is at Great River Road Interpretive Center at Freedom Park, located on a bluff 400 ft. above the river, just a half-mile from downtown Prescott. Freedom Park gets its name from a rehabilitated eagle named Freedom, who was released back into the wild at this site. The Center offers panoramic views of both of the rivers, as well as a renowned collection of interactive exhibits.