Lock and Dam #6
Trempealeau, WI 54661
Lock and Dam No. 6 is located in a bluff-lined valley on the Upper Mississippi River at Trempealeau, Wisconsin. The project includes a lock,a dam with movable gates, an earth dike and an overflow spillway. The Corps of Engineers originally placed the facility in operation in June 1936, as part of the Upper Mississippi River 9-foot channel project. Later in 1951, the Corps completed the upper guide wall extension. After more than 50 years of service, the Corps undertook a major maintenance program to replace much of the operating equipment and to construct a new control building, which was completed in 1999. This project will afford reliable service well into the future.